I am a mother of 4 and a grandmother of 6. I am a dietitian and a lactation consultant. Life is definitely good.

Monday, August 10, 2009

Empty nest parenting

I've been reading a book by Linda and Richard Eyre and their daughter Saren. It is called Empty Nest Parenting. It talks about different ways that parents and children interact and communicate once they (the children) leave the home. I think it is interesting to think about, so I am going to put some of the ideas they have in their book here. I would love your input.

One questions is "What do I need from my kids once they are gone?"
Here are some of the answers that I agree with. Each new quote is from a different person.

"You'll need them to keep needing you, but you're not going to be their prime source of everything anymore." (I know I quit being the prime source of everything a long time ago for all of you).

"I think there are three things I really need from my kids...First, I need information! The more I know about what they're doing, the less I worry--even if they are doing some worrisome things. I worry less than if I don't know. My imagination is always worse than reality. Second, I need appreciation. Not a whole lot of it, but just a thank you when appropriate and maybe even some retroactive thanks for things they now realize they didn't thank me for along the way. Third, I really need them to show they need me once in a while. It makes my day when one of my moved-away kids asks for my opinion or, better yet, my advice!" (I really identify with this response).

"I think it's reasonable to expect regular communication from your kids--e-mails, phone calls, whatever you decide together works best for you." (I really identify with this one too. More about phone calls below).

This is me speaking now. Since I don't hear well--and it seems to be even worse on the phone, I like phone calls if you speak up and don't get irritated when I have to have you repeat things. The grand kids seem to be especially hard to understand on the phone. If you call, I like for you to tell me things that are going on with you, without me having to dig for them. For some reason, I can't think of things to ask until after you hang up. I love to hear about everyday things that are happening, not just the big ones (although I want to know about the big ones too). I really wish I could be close enough to visit more regularly without it being so expensive. I love e-mails because I can read them multiple times and look back at them when I am feeling lonely. I love it when you write in your blogs because you all have a marvelous way of describing what is happening to you.

So tell me. What do you expect from me now that you are all moved away? How do you all like to communicate?

2 Comments:

Blogger Timber said...

I told Nathan to reply to this. He doesn't listen to me either :P

Maybe I don't count cuz I wasn't ever IN the nest to begin with...but I'll reply anyway!

For me, I hate phone calls. I can't ever think of anything to say. I'll take an email over a phone call any day! :)

I love emails. and I read your blog even when I don't have time to leave comments. I love that you leave comments on my blog.

I don't know what I 'expect' from you...I guess I don't really expect anything that you don't already do! I think you're a great grandma and mom-in-law.

love ya :)

3:01 PM

 
Blogger Butterfly Kisses said...

You definitely count! Those who marry my kids, thus taking them from the nest, now count as my kids also. Thanks for being a great daughter.

9:21 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

 
eXTReMe Tracker