The trouble with traveling
I often think of the places I've never seen and that I would like to see. The problem is preparing to go on a trip of any kind. The plans have to start way in advance--it is really hard to be spontaneous. First you have to decide on a date that is compatible with everyone involved. That in and of itself can be a daunting task. My husband's sister lives in Georgia. Her son is in Las Vegas, which is a lot closer to us than is Georgia. She called and told us when she was going to be in Vegas and suggested we come there for a sort of family reunion, since it would be easier to get there than to Georgia. Only one of our daugters could arrange to go that week. So we each arranged with our respective places of employment to get that time off. For me it wasn't just asking for it. We had to meet together and figure out who could cover my shifts while I was gone. Unfortunately, another of my co-workers needed part of the same week off. It was really quite a balancing act to get everything covered. Then, several weeks later, we found that the best time for Ken's brother to go to Vegas was the weekend before we were going to be there. Well, I'm afraid it was too late to try to re-arrange the work schedule at that point. We just said, sorry, we'll miss you. However, they were able to change and come when we will be there. So the dates are now set.
Now the planning of who will water our garden when we're gone, arrange to have the mail picked up, get the car ready for a long drive, pack so that 4 people's stuff for 5 days will all fit into one trunk, trying to plan for "what-ifs" that may happen on the trip.
The night before we leave almost always is a long night of packing and worrying and having a headache. Everyone seems to be on edge. I'm working real hard to try to be calm and take things as they come with a sense of humor. I really want to enjoy myself and have everyone else enjoy the trip also. Is it worth it? I REALLY hope so!

1 Comments:
I can sort of relate, but that is just cuz we're moving in 5 days and there is still SO MUCH left to do. I'm going crazy. Oy. I could use a trip to vegas right now haha
7:38 PM
Post a Comment
<< Home